Schools are worried about their ability to provide school lunches during the record partial government shutdown, which on Monday entered its 31st day, and at least one school district is already planning to reduce children’s lunches over fears of running out of food.
“Starting the week of January 21, minimum level means: one main dish, bread, two vegetables, one fruit and milk,” the Vance County school district, located in North Carolina north of Raleigh, said last week in a Facebook post.
This was necessary to “conserve food and funding” because of the shutdown, the district said.
“No fresh produce will be included, except at elementary schools as part of the Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program,” it said, referring to the federally assisted program that gives free fresh fruit and vegetables to elementary schools. “This program will be decreased to two days each week.”
“No bottled drinks (water and juice) will be available after the current inventory in stock is used. No ice cream will be available,” the school system added.
“We hope that normal lunch menus can be resumed as soon as possible once the shutdown has ended.”
Read the full story here.