“#GivingTuesdayNow is a new global day of giving and unity that will take place on May 5, 2020 – in addition to the regularly scheduled Dec 1, 2020 #GivingTuesday – as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. Let’s come together to drive a spike of generosity, citizen engagement, business and philanthropy activation, and support for communities and nonprofits around the world.”From GivingTuesday, #GivingTuesdayNow
A message from #GivingTuesdayMilitary:
“In terms of our why… it was easy. Our military family has already stepped up to support the world during this pandemic. From the deployed service members to the military spouses sewing masks late into the night, everyone is coming together. It is our hope that by encouraging everyone to be kind and take care of each other, we will be stronger for it. This pandemic is testing us all!”
#GivingTuesdayMilitary is working hard to develop a list of acts of kindness that can be completed safely during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are partnering with #GivingTuesdayKids on a few initiatives as well. Here are some of them:
- #HeartsForHeroes: We are working to specifically find fabric with hearts on it and utilize that fabric to make masks for first responders and stuffed hearts for their children. We are asking ambassadors who are crafty to raise their hands and adopt a local hospital, grocery store, fire department, police station, or post office. All of the people who are working within these fields (and more) are on the front lines and are our first responders. You do NOT have to be a master sewer to do this! There are many ways to make no-sew masks and hearts — hot glue can be your friend!
- Video Messages of Hope: Many nursing homes and veterans homes are in complete lockdown. Isolation can have a detrimental effect on mental health, especially for this population. An Oregon VA home gave us the idea for this after soliciting for encouraging videos to be displayed on the closed circuit televisions in the veterans room. Contact your local nursing and veterans homes and see if you can start this project in your hometown!
- You’ve been chalked: Serve your neighborhood kids! Leave a bag of chalk on doorsteps with a sweet note encouraging the writing of inspiring messages. Soon neighborhood walks will lift the spirits of everyone!
- Virtual Pen Pal: There are multiple sites that offer virtual pen pal abilities so you can safely engage in inspiring and encouraging conversations with others. This project is particularly aimed at children. Our children have gone from continuous socialization and interaction to quarantine. If you click here, it will bring you to many different FREE options for kids.
- Highlight Military Families: This is a difficult time for all families but many military families are facing the pandemic and navigating a deployment. Choose to highlight a military family in your community and lift them up.
To find out more about #GivingTuesdayMilitary head over to their website at www.GivingTuesdayMilitary.com