No bad apples here…
Just in time for the holidays, Julie Anne Lindsey has a soul-warming hot cider recipe from her brand-new Cider Shop Mystery series! Protagonist Winnie Mae Montgomery likes to drink this on a crisp fall evening after a long day of helping her Granny at Smythe Orchards, their beloved 25-acre-farm and family business.
Winnie’s Slow Cookin’ Cider
Garnish with a handful of chopped green apple and a cinnamon stick for fun. You can serve this simple recipe hot or cold, but you can’t go wrong with cider.
- 1 dozen apples in a variety of flavors.
- 2 large oranges
- 1 lemon
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Wash your apples thoroughly, then slice them before adding them to your slow cooker.
- Peel and quarter your oranges and lemon. Drop the pieces into the slow cooker with your apple slices.
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Fill the cooker with water.
- Cover and cook on low all day or even overnight!
- Keep cooking until the apple slices are soft and tender.
- Mash the ingredients in the cooker, then continue to cook another 1 to 2 hours.
- Cover a large pot with cheesecloth and slowly pour the apple mixture in. Repeat the process several
- times as needed to catch large pieces.
- Strain once more with a fine-mesh strainer to eliminate smaller bits. Repeat until the cider is smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and sugars while your cider is warm. Stir.
- Pour and enjoy hot or cold! Refrigerate or freeze leftover cider.
Get your copy of APPLE CIDER SLAYING HERE!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Julie Anne Lindsey is a multi-genre author who writes the stories that keep her up at night. When she’s not creating new worlds and organizing the epic adventures of fictional characters, Julie can be found carpooling her three kids around Northeastern Ohio and plotting with her shamelessly enabling friends. Today, she hopes to make someone smile. One day she plans to change the world. Julie is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Romance Writers of America, and Sisters in Crime. Visit her online at JulieAnneLindsey.com.